Built in 1827, Fort Langley brings the heyday of the Hudson’s Bay Company fur trading era to life on the banks of the Fraser River, once a British trade route.

Travel back to the 19th century when French-Canadian traders bartered with coastal First Nations for salmon, cranberries and animal pelts, 30,000 prospectors raged with Fraser River gold fever, and a 2,000-acre farm supplied food up and down the coast.

This is where the smell of wood smoke mingles with the clang of the blacksmith’s anvil, where interpreters tell reverent tales of salmon and cedar, and more than 85,000 visitors a year laugh as they pan for gold.

Dress up as a trader and salute the statue of Sir James Douglas, who proclaimed British Columbia a Crown Colony at Fort Langley in 1858.