Halifax Defence Complex
Of the many different forts and batteries constructed by the British and Canadian militaries in the Halifax area, there are five that are today national historic sites owned and administered by Parks Canada. These five sites are known collectively as the Halifax Defence Complex and are part of a nation-wide family of national historic sites.
Fort McNab National Historic Site
This was the first fort in Halifax to have breech-loading artillery.
York Redoubt National Historic Site
A key harbour entrance fortification that operated from the 1790s to the Second World War.
Prince of Wales Tower National Historic Site
Located in Point Pleasant Park, this fortification was built in the 1790s and is one of the earliest Martello Towers in the British Empire.
Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
The fourth fort on Citadel Hill was completed in 1856 and protected Halifax from a possible landward attack.
Georges Island National Historic Site
Once considered the “key of Halifax Harbour,” the current features on the island date mostly from the second half of the 19th century.