ShoreLINES is a quarterly newsletter intended to keep our partners and stakeholders informed about Parks Canada's activities and heritage places in Northern Ontario.
The 274 m long and 18 m wide historic lock chamber could hold one "upper laker" and two smaller vessels. The present day lock was reconstructed in 1997 to accommodate recreational vessels and is of a more modest size; 77 m long and 15.4 m wide.
The Sault Ste. Marie Canal was constructed between 1889 and 1895 to bypass the turbulent rapids of the St. Marys River and to provide the last link in Canada's Great Lakes St. Lawrence shipping route.
Early explorers and fur traders were forced to portage their supply-laden canoes around these turbulent waters. The St. Marys River Rapids remained an obstacle for vessels entering and returning from Lake Superior until the construction of the first canals.