The Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site is located about 40 km southwest of Montréal on the shores of the St. Lawrence River. It features Canada’s first lock canal and the remains of a fort.

With a history spanning 7,000 years, the site was a portage and encampment location used by Amerindians to avoid the rapids, a military fortification, and a canal that opened the way for commercial shipping.

Getting here

308 A Chemin du Fleuve
Coteau-du-Lac QC JOP 1BO
Map

Hours of operation

June 17 to September 4
Every day, from 10 am to 5 pm
Complete schedule

Fees

Free admission in 2017. Other fees still apply.
Detailed fees list 

Contact us

Telephone: 450-763-5631
Toll-free: 1-888-773-8888
Email: reservations.coteau@pc.gc.ca

Visit the blockhouse and slip back into 1814!

Sites nearby

  • Fort Chambly National Historic Site

    Roughly 30 kilometres southeast of Montreal, Fort Chambly rises proudly at the foot of the Richelieu River rapids. Built in 1711 to defend the colony, this stone fortification was preceded by three wooden forts.

  • Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site

    Discover the strategies behind the significant day of October 26, 1813 when outnumbered Canadian troops defeated the invading American army. Ride 14 kilometres by bike or car across the actual battlefield!

  • Carillon Barracks National Historic Site

    Opened in 1843, the Sainte-Anne Canal was the main entry point for the waterway between Montréal and Kingston. Take a trip through 150 years of history. Then go to the pier for a picnic and watch the lock in operation.

  • Carillon Canal National Historic Site

    Watch boats pass through the Carillon Canal lock, navigating a 20-metre drop in a single operation. Stop in at the museum to inspect an interpretive panel about the history of the Ottawa River’s 19th century travellers.

  • Fort Lennox National Historic Site

    Treat yourself to a stroll through history. First, take the ferry from Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix then, five minutes later, step into the Fort Lennox Garrison. Built between 1819 and 1829, every nook and cranny in this British fortification has been preserved.