1819. Just a stone's throw from the U.S. border, Île-aux-Noix - anchored in the middle of the Richelieu River - served as a bulwark against potential invaders from the south. When, for the third time, military authorities ordered the reconstruction of the fort, they named the new defensive structure Fort Lennox.
This British fortification has retained its original structure so there is no need for imagination - everything remains as it was. Take the ferry that connects the village of Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix with île-aux-Noix, and in five minutes, you're in the 19th century. Walk through Fort Lennox’s gates and follow in the footsteps of soldiers who ate at this canteen, who mounted guard on this bridge, slept in these officers' quarters, inspected the powder magazine and stood watch over Lower Canada from the top of its ramparts. Steep yourself in the magic of history.
Please note that from now until 2020, the Government of Canada is making the largest investment in infrastructures since Parks Canada was established to protect sites that we care for and ensure their sustainability. At Fort-Lennox National Historic Site, investments in visitor infrastructures will ensure the quality and reliability of activities and will allow visitors to enjoy our diverse history.