While wandering through the Rouge, it’s important to remember that you’re visiting the home for many different types of wildlife. One of the larger animals you might spot is a coyote, though they’re rather shy and hard to find. If you do encounter one, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Coyotes are usually wary of people.
- They can become less fearful if they are fed, or associate humans with food sources.
- Coyotes are most active at dusk and dawn.
For the safety of visitors and wildlife:
- Always walk with a friend
- Keep your dog leashed
- Stay on marked trails
- Never approach or feed wildlife
What to do if approached by a coyote:
- Remain calm
- Do not run away or turn your back
- Slowly back away
- Make noise, or blow your whistle if you have one
It’s unusual to see a coyote, and often they’ll run off as soon as they see you. By following these tips, we can all do our part to help keep people and coyotes safe.